Monday, April 7, 2008

T-shirts display "I was raped"  

1 comments
Take a look at this video about a rape victim selling t-shirts online that say, "I was raped."
I can understand why people have concerns about this t-shirt, but I think that they can also be very liberating for victims. Many women are afraid to tell people that they were raped out of embarassment or fear of being alienated, but seeing other women wearing this t-shirt could inspire them to come out of the shadows. I think it can also be a way for rape victims to channel anger and distress - wearing this t-shirt can be a way to take the power back that was stolen from you.

What do you all think?


(Thanks to Leslie for showing me this!)

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ T-shirts display "I was raped"


  • April 8, 2008 at 12:49 AM  

    Hey...I saw the link and thought it was the david &goliath shirt but found that instead. I dunno, personally, I don't know what I'd do so I can't really say (and hope that I never have to)... but I don't think I would do it. Probably because I don't have the courage... and also coming from the fact that I live in Brooklyn and am constantly in the city, taking the subway, walking all over the place... I am harassed on an ALMOST daily basis. I yell back at them, try to catch some snapshots for hollaback... but I feel like if I had a shirt like that, the lowlives that harass me already would bother me even more.

    However, for those who feel this is a way to bring their experience out in the open, to stop being ashamed and force people to confront something they want hidden, I fully support them. I think it's amazing that anyone could have the courage to do that.