Saturday, March 29, 2008
There are so many stories I come across in the news that deserve attention that I can't possibly make individual posts about them all. So, here is a list of small samplings (a buffet, if you will) of recent events and news stories. Follow the links to read more, should something spark your interest. Enjoy and look for more "buffets" in the future.
- Following up with my last post, the Transportation Security Administration responded to Mandi Hamlin's complaint about being forced to remove her nipple rings to board a plane.
- Larry King was a gay eight-grader who was shot in the head because others did not like him wearing makeup and jewelry to school. His murder is prompting gay activists to call for better education about exercising respect and tolerance towards GLBT people.
- Efforts have begun in Zimbabwe to increase female political involvement.
- A frightening statistic: in Nigeria, 61% of new HIV/AIDS infections are found in women.
- Muslim leaders are speaking out against the practice of forced marriage.
- Rikki Rockett, drummer in the band Poison, has been accused of rape.
- In India, a woman was accused of being a "witch" and was consequently tied to a tree and beaten by an angry mob.
- A string of purse snatchings have been underway in California. The offenders are clearly targeting Asian women.
- A new natural form of birth control has emerged that is receiving praise from both women and men.
- Top ten craziest things John McCain has said while you weren't watching.
- Chelsea Clinton states that she believes her mother would make a better president than her father.
- Castro's daughter is promoting the acceptance of gay rights in Cuba.
Feel free to comment with your stories :)