Sunday, August 8, 2010
Found many-a interesting things while perusing the web on my Sunday afternoon, so here's a nice little round-up for y'all.
- If you need your daily dose of disgust, you can read about the opposition to building mosques near Ground Zero.
- For those of you who haven't heard, an appeal has already been filed against the Prop 8 ruling. No one's particularly surprised.
- From The New Gay: Queers You Should Know: Fred Karger, Our First Gay President?
- In honor of World Breastfeeding Week (which ended yesterday), Kimberly Seals Allers wrote a piece for Women's eNews about the low breastfeeding rates amongst black mothers.
- I found this absolutely horrific but thought it served as a good reminder of the lengths people will go to in order to protect their precious gender roles. A man allegedly beat his girlfriend's 17-month-old son to death because he wasn't acting "manly" enough.
- From AlterNet: In States Where "Gun Ed" Is Prevalent, Comprehensive Sex Ed Is Nowhere to Be Found.
- Another one from AlterNet: The GOP Fights to Make African-Americans Sicker and Poorer.
- Scenes from an anti-choice abortion-kills-black-babies protest.
- Ironically, Lucky magazine airbrushed Jessica Simpson to make her look thinner in her photo for an article about how much she loves her body.
- Jane Lynch. Hosting SNL in October. 'Nuff said.
- Thank goodness for Rachel Maddow and her ability to take on offensive media powerhouses, e.g. Bill O'Reilly.