Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sarah Palin's anti-feminism  

5 comments
So, Sarah Palin recently spoke at the Susan B. Anthony List breakfast - for those of you who don't know, Susan B. Anthony List is "a political action committee helping pro-life women gain election to Congress." I watched some of the video of her speech but I couldn't get too far into it because my body wouldn't stop cringing whenever Sarah Palin mentioned the "new conservative feminist movement."



...Wait, what?

Isn't that an oxymoron? I respect people's individual political opinions, and I'm certainly not one to render feminism an exclusive movement, but I will until the day I die assert that a person cannot claim to want the best for women when they do not trust women to make the right choices for their own bodies.

I have met people who admit that they would never get an abortion themselves, nor are they particularly 100% comfortable with the idea of abortion, but they understand the importance of this right remaining intact because they know it is what is best for the emotional and physical well-being of women. To me, that is a true feminist: someone who, despite any personal hang-ups they might have about a particular issue, will always support the position that protects our needs and rights.

Sarah Palin is not that type of feminist. She isn't a feminist.

Here's what Taylor Marsh, of HuffingtonPost.com, had to say:

You simply can't be a feminist if you don't support a woman's individual rights. Announcing a "new conservative feminist movement" without acknowledging the individual freedoms of women won't cut it. This feministic facade that actually takes aim at women's rights should be seen for what it is.

Anything less than supporting women's full individual rights simply renders you a pretender, a fake, a feminist fraud.

I sincerely hope this "conservative feminist movement" doesn't gain momentum. I might have to *headdesk* repeatedly.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ Sarah Palin's anti-feminism


  • May 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

    I agree.
    There is no way I could believe that woman has a feminist bone in her body. What she does have is a love of publicity and a need to have the last say. She was dismissed and that hit a nerve with her; it has been the driving force between writing her book and touring.
    Even here, Canada is not immune to hearing about that woman. Palin is aligning herself with the conservative "feminist" designation for a reason and it is yet to be seen what she intends to do with it.


  • May 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM  

    o man sarah Palinspeech is so lame, I wonder why some people sympathizes with this bitch.


  • November 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

    I think it has been a good reading for me, actually I like it because i'M SO FEMINIST, and I think that the idea of abortion should be something to take into account.


  • July 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM  

    Try to get more information on dieting, weight loss articles, health and fitness articles, weight loss forum and BMI calculator at my profile and get the advise from them to lose weight fast and healthy.


  • September 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM  

    These are great points. Very well done!